Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chicken Breasts with Sour Cream Gravy

I don't normally meddle with cooking and preparations in our house. I mostly leave that to those who actually know what they're doing. But last week, I decided to care. So I made dinner.

This is a tried and true recipe that I've had for years. It doesn't take a genius to put it together and it is delicious. I always tinker with the ingredients; as far as I can remember I have never followed it completely because we just never seem to have all the ingredients. It always turns out wonderful anyway, so I'm not complaining. Here is the original recipe:


Chicken Breasts with Sour Cream Gravy
Serves 4




Ingredients:
1/4 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, black and white pepper, paprika, dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, garlic powder
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons butter
2 green onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken stock, heated
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons cold water
flour
salt
2 tablespoons sour cream

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, mix spices and herbs together. You can add more if you like to suit your taste. (Personally I only use black pepper and spanish paprika. I never measure them. I just eyeball it. And I use real mustard.) Dust the chicken breasts in spice mixture and dredge with flour.

2. Heat the butter in a medium saute pan. Put in the chicken and cook about 3-5 minutes each side. Do not overcook.

3. Take the chicken pieces out of the pan. Add the green onions in the pan and cook until soft. Pour in the chicken stock and add back the chicken. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.

4. Remove the chicken and place on your serving plate.

5. Mix the cornstarch and water, stirring to make sure it doesn't stick to he bottom. Pour in the pan. Stir and cook until it becomes thick. (You can add more cornstarch if you need to. Remember, NEVER add cornstarch directly to the pan unless you want cornstarch blobs in your gravy. Always dissolve in cool water first.) Add in the sour cream. (I put more sour cream than the recipe calls for, about 5 tbsp.)

6. Pour the gravy over the chicken pieces and serve with a dollop of sour cream.



Enjoy!
Manila, Philippines

No comments: